Saturday, 3 January 2015

Winter Cheer

This morning I walked around the Churchyard and was delighted to see snowdrops and aconites pushing through the leaf litter. Those of you in the 'soft' south have no doubt been enjoying these flowers for weeks, but for us who are north (ish) they are newly arrived and very welcome !
I came home to inspect my own garden but though the leaves of the snowdrops are poking through, there are no flowers as yet, and of my aconites not a sign. Do hope I haven't killed them off with last years garden changes. The new snowdrops I bought last year at Colesbourne are in a pot so they don't get lost among my common ones and have chance to bulk up a bit before I plant them out. Two of the varieties are growing, with a pleasing number of shoots, but of a third variety there is no sign. The label tells me that it is a double called Titania and that it is mid season. I am taking that to mean that it is not deceased, merely awaiting its season - hope so anyway as I also see from the label that it cost me £6 for a tiny plant !
There is quite a large area of the older part of the Churchyard that is kept as a conservation garden and it will soon be carpeted with snowdrops and aconites, followed by daffodils and crocus then bluebells and a froth of cow parsley in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment