Tuesday, 6 January 2015

A walk in Wetherby

Walked today with a friend - our usual monthly meet - and, in fact,  for what has become our usual Winter walk.
Between Wetherby and Spofforth is a disused railway track. It was originally built as a station on the Leeds - Harrogate route in 1902 but was one of the victims of the Beeching axe of the 1960's. A headline of the time referring to the cut, which involved several other stations on the route said 'First Lamb to the Beeching Axe ' !
Whatever its history, the redundant track has become a welcome route for cyclists, dog walkers and (r)amblers such as my friend and I. Its cinder base is walkable in all weathers and its hedges and edges have become a haven for wild flowers and birds - and presumably other livestock, though we haven't seen any of those .
We saw a tiny tit pecking at the crab apples still hanging from one of the wayside trees and though I attempted to photograph it, I'm afraid my equipment is not up to the job. I ended up with quite an atmospheric view of the sky and part of the tree. You will have to take my word for it that the tit was indeed pecking - it is behind the lowermost bunch of fruit on the right of the photo.


Just to show you that the weather wasn't quite as dismal as it looks here, I took another picture of the
whole tree .


No comments:

Post a Comment