I have bought a new sketchbook to work in on the theme of Winter. I already have one started on Autumn, so have bought a book the same size and intend to work in it until Spring, then start another seasonal book and so on. I have no illusions that the books will be filled this year or even next, but like the idea of having a book for each season to turn to as the year rolls on.
Full of enthusiasm yesterday when my sketchbook arrived, I painted several pages with gesso ready to work into - my head full of snow and black tree outlines . Then, this afternoon I took the downstream river path (the scenic route past the sewage works) and I made a discovery ! The colour of winter is actually brown ! In reality I know this. My garden, based mainly on herbaceous perennials shows me the truth every day I clear a little more of the collapsed debris of last year's growth . It is just not the automatic picture that comes into my head when I think of winter. My brain is seduced by images of frosted leaves sparkling in the sun and white white everywhere. Now that I have noticed the 'other' reality I will make space in my sketchbook for all the palette of winter.
On the river bank I saw this lovely alder with its feet almost in the water and the oak still holding onto its leaves despite last night's howling wind.


No comments:
Post a Comment