Monday, 26 January 2015

Another project ?

At Harlow Carr on Saturday we enjoyed lots of sun despite the fact that the temperature barely reached above 3C. The winter garden was looking good with brilliant Cornus stems and lots of hellebores - not much smell though - it's very open and there are no enclosed bits to trap the wafts of loveliness from sarcococca or winter honeysuckle. Perhaps it was just too cold - even close up the Witch Hazels had almost no perfume.
It was lovely to walk round though and there were lots of children enjoying the snow which was still in evidence particularly in the woods. I was very taken with the boxing hares -
but I'm  not going for willow weaving this time.
Instead I rather fancy this insect hotel for solitary bees and the like - it's a bit elaborate for my garden and was about three feet high but I think I might utilise the hollow stems of last year's plume poppies which I just happen to have saved to make a more modest version - a Premier Inn rather than a 5* establishment !
Just watch this space !


No comments:

Post a Comment