Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Inspiration pack

Before Christmas, my sewing group made inspiration packs which were wrapped up and placed in a bag so everyone could choose one without being able to see colours, fabric etc. The one I got was not a colour combination I would ever have chosen to work with but needs must ! We also had a range of inspirational photos to choose from - I chose a fabulous close up of a weathered stone building with excrescences between the gaps between the stones in a range of colours closely matching my inspiration pack. I naively thought this would be perfect for a fairly 'photographic' interpretation !
In fact, the pack was a real mishmash of mostly small - even tiny - pieces of fabric widely different in weight, texture and finish and I spent ages working out how I could achieve my plan. In the end I abandoned the photo and decide that I would use as my inspiration some Banjara work that I had seen on a Kemshall video.
It is hard to see the Banjara detail without zooming in (must get a new camera) and the format of the bag rather flatters the tension I managed to achieve between the furnishing fabric in the middle and the dyed scrim then ribbon that I used to surround it. The pink bag fabric was the only large piece in the pack, but all the threads except the off-white running stitches that are the basis of the pattern were in the pack too. We are meeting on Friday so it will be interesting to see what everyone else did with their pack.
Have found a closer view of the Banjara work -
I found the actual stitching of the pattern a really soothing thing to do and liked the feel of it in the hand. I might start a piece in colours that I like rather better - always good to have a piece of hand embroidery on the go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment