Monday, 7 July 2014

Screen Printing with Dionne Swift

Had a really good day at Rural Arts in Thirsk the other week with Dionne Swift.
We painted with procion dyes directly onto a screen then textured with table salt, rock salt and rice. The screen was left to dry so that the texturing stuff could be rubbed off, then the screen was printed using manutex to push the dye onto the fabric (pfd from Whaleys).
This was my first 'play' using an A4 screen and the object was just to try the technique and see the effects of a second or even a third print.
As you can see, I just painted on colour with no particular theme in mind, but it was useful to gauge the advatages and limitations of the technique.
My 'proper' piece was planned to be a sea/beach background to stitch into ad this was done on an A2 screen.
First print -
2nd print
I didn't bother trying a third as almost all the colour was off my screen. I left an untextured area to distinguish between sky and sea but was unable to keep the colour clean. I was really pleased with both my prints and am looking forward to stitching into them, though I may not keep the whole fabric intact - a bit large for me, especially as most of what I have done for the last year has been A5 !






No comments:

Post a Comment