Friday, 6 June 2014

Stonecarving day two

Yesterday I showed you my stonecarving right at the beginning of the day when I had just riughly marked out my block. I meant to take a photo at the end of the day so that you could see my progress but I forgot !
I did though take a photo first thing this morning before I started which amounts to the same thing .

As you can see, it takes a long time to move quite small quantities of stone. We worked in the sunshine today while the studios were prepared for NY Open Studios.Four local artists are showing their work this weekend and are hoping for lots of visitors to come to look. There is a painter/screenprinter, a ceramicist, a mixed media artist and a papercutter all of whom have some brill things to display. ( There will of course be cakes by the dozen - hurrah ). Arty things aside, I have spent several more hours today moving an equally insignificant amount of stone, but I can , if I squint, see my bird emerging from the stone.

 The white bit which looks as if it might be a beak, is in fact a small piece of stone resting on the ground and is nothing to do with my carving ! I haven't yet finalised how I want my beak and tail to be angled - will it be a pigeon or a duck - only the stone will tell ! While we were having lunch, there was a lull in the conversation (probably exhaustion) and a partridge came and made such a noise with his calling that it made us laugh out loud. I think he had seen my emergent bird and was looking for a mate , so depending on my accuracy with the hammer and chisel, it may even turn out to be a partridge !


1 comment: