Monday, 11 February 2013

Masham

For my Ineke Berlyn class I have been working up ideas based on maps of Masham. I started with a simplified drawn outline and essentially, coloured it in.

After this I sampled a fabric image painted with thickened procion and added handstitch but wasn't much taken with it.


Then, while I was looking at one map, I noticed a man's outline in the map - my camera needs upgrading so I don't know whether you can see him in this next photo.
This is a google earth image. His head is centre top, with his spine , arms and legs extending from it. Once I had seen it, it jumped out of every map I looked at . I have coloured him in on the next image so you can see him better.
So , Masham Man was born and I have been playing with him ever since.

Don't know yet whether he will feature in my final piece but he's certainly a consideration.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your initial sketch. I like the colours you used, perhaps you need to use a bit brighter Procion dye colours?

    ReplyDelete