The moment may have passed - google+ refused to upload my pic last week because of the inadequency of the security on my (cheap) phone - but this glorious sight last Tuesday needs a viewing !
I was walking with my friend Judith - a monthly meeting that began 18 years ago - on the disused railway track between Wetherby and Spofforth, when we came upon this fabulous blossoming loveliness set against the bluest sky I have seen since last summer ! It lifted both our hearts and , I would imagine, the heart of anyone who was lucky enough to be walking there on the same day. As it is so early I presume it must be Blackthorn though we couldn't see any thorns. I will make a point of looking for sloes there in the Autumn . The only other possibility I can think of is that it might be a garden escapee and be a variety of Japanese Cherry. There are some flowering around here - though sadly not in my garden. I will have to wait a while until my potted miniature one will be in flower.

I think this is probably a type of Prunus as the Cherry that appeared in our hedge last year has now got flowers out. Do not think there will be as many cherries as last year so the birds are going to be very disappointed.
ReplyDelete